Friday, March 13, 2009

Beef Stew - West Gadsden Cafe Style

2 Pkgs. of Stew Meat (around 2.5 - 3 lbs)

1 Can Tomato Sauce - 15 ounce 
2 Ribs Celery chopped very fine
1 Package baby carrots ( cut in 2 pieces)
Potatoes (cut up bite size)
1 Envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Water
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Sprinkle of each of these:
Worcestershire Sauce
Kitchen Bouquet
Garlic Salt

NOTE:  I don't use a recipe for this........so you can use more or less of what you like the most. 

I put the tomato sauce in a Dutch Oven and add 3 cans of water along with the lipton soup.  Add all the other ingredients except the potatoes.  You will need to add more water when you get all your ingredients in the dutch oven.  Bring the stew to a boil and put a lid on it and turn the temperature down enough to keep the stew cooking at a slow boil or bubbly.  Stir often to make sure it isn't sticking.  I use a very thick Dutch Oven so mine never sticks.  Add the potatoes the last hour it cooks.  I usually cook this for about 3.5 to 4 hours.

I serve mine with cornbread and slaw, but you can choose whatever you like.  This would be good cooked in a crock pot too.

Please let me know how you like this!!!!  My family loves this.


2 comments:

cosby2 said...

I will have to try that recipe! We love beef stew too, but I've never added tomato sauce to mine. With all this rainy weather, a big pot of beef stew would hit the spot! You know how I love recipes...especially from the cafe. Thanks for posting.

Tatersmama said...

Mmmmm !! My guy bought me a Crock Pot yesterday,(it took him long enough!) so I think I'll christen it with this recipe! I know he'll love it. :-)
Thank you for sharing !!
*hugs*