Sunday, March 01, 2009

A Snowy Day

Alabama woke up to a beautiful snowfall this morning. We don't see a lot of snow so this little dusting is a big deal for us. We haven't missed school for snow in the last couple of years. Some of us think that is a good thing, since we have built-in weather days. Since this is a Sunday snow, we won't miss school this time either. It is really pretty to look at and the roads are clear. The ground is wet, so there isn't a lot on the grassy areas but the rooftops and cars are covered.

Annabelle was getting ready to go play in the snow when I called earlier. I hope to see pictures of her playing in the snow soon.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday. Lunch will be different today. I told my dad not to get out, I was afraid he would fall. Matt is going to deliver their lunch. Today our menu is lasagna, salad, garlic bread, and pound cake (recipe below). The pound cake I cook is affectionately call "Bertha's Pound Cake". Bertha went to church with us and every time there was an an occasion to eat, she always brought her pound cake. It has a wonderful crust on it and my family loves it!

Bertha's Pound Cake

1/2 Pound of Margarine
1/2 Pound of Crisco (sometimes I use the butter flavored)
3 Cups Sugar

Cream all of the above together

Then add 5 Eggs (add one at a time)

Add 2 Tablespoons of Vanilla to
1 Cup of Milk

Mix together 3 Cups Gold Medal Plain Flour with
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder

Alternate adding flour mixture and milk. Cream together until well blended.

Pour in a floured and greased bundt pan. (This makes a large cake so be careful if your bundt pan isn't a large one) Be sure to only get the pan a little over half full. This cake will rise. I usually place most of the batter in my bundt pan and then I have enough for a small loaf pan too. The loaf cake might not take as long to cook as the bundt pan

Start in a COLD oven and turn temperature to 325 and bake for 1 hour or until done (insert a cake tester to test).

The secret to the crust is starting in a cold oven!!!!

I can't wait to hear how you like this one!!!!

2 comments:

Tatersmama said...

Mmmmm... everything sounds so good!
I'll be giving the pound cake a try, because even after all these years, I miss my mama's...
And besides, my guy is a big dessert fan. There's nothing better than baking something that they really love, so I hope I can do this recipe justice!

cosby2 said...

That is very much like my favorite pound cake. My recipe was given to me from the chief clerk at the courthouse when I worked there. It was her mother's recipe. Pretty much the same except instead of milk, it calls for a cup of whipping cream...even more fattening!!! But also a great crust and yummy! I'll be sure and try yours too. Wished I had a piece now!!!